Thursday, February 4, 2010

Election season '10 is revving up

Yes, its true.  The special election in Massachusetts.  Several states are beginning to hold primary elections for Congressional seats.  

We all know that elections are, or at should be, about issues, not about candidates themselves.  For those of us who live in states that permit voter initiated measures, referendums, or both, each election does force us to consider at least a few issues outside of the typical representative democracy structure.  As I have written previously, voter initiatives, in particular, are situations that provide both proponents and opponents of those measures the opportunity to massage facts, embellish details, and hyperbolize benefits or consequences.

For those reasons, voter education is absolutely crucial to an effective and worthwhile initiative and referendum process.  In that vein, I want to share a website.  Ballotpedia is really a catalog of many state politics issues, including ballot initiatives.  On the site, you can learn which states have an I&R scheme.  You can find past ballot measures as well as learn about potential or proposed measures in upcoming elections.  

The closer we get to November, the more muddled and murky candidates and issues will become.  I urge you to start your education now.  In doing so, you might also find out how you can support or oppose the campaigns of ballot measures that are important to you.  Get educated.  Be involved.  Take advantage of your right to have a voice in various levels of government that touch your daily life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment